I am obsessed with Chipotle and since moving down south to Baton Rouge, there are only 2 locations that are “close” to me.
Since they are not within 5 minutes of my apartment, I like to stock my fridge up with some items from Trader Joes to make a mock Chipotle bowl.
I use quinoa instead of rice for a healthier, fiber packed meal. It makes for a quick and easy dinner and fresh and flavorful leftovers for lunch the next day!
- 1 package of Trader Joe’s Marinated Adobo Chicken
- 1 package of Trader Joe’s Fire Roasted Bell Peppers and Onions
- 1 can of corn – drain and rinse
- 1 can of beans – drain and rinse
- 1 package of fresh salsa
- 1 avocado – sliced
- Dollop of Greek yogurt
- Handful of shredded cheese
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 and 1/2 cup water
- Dash of olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- Chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the quinoa and juice of one lime and roast for about one minute.
- Add water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover with lid and lower the heat to low.
- Cook until the quinoa is perfect to bite – about 15 minutes.
- Add the chopped cilantro and fluff with a fork.
- Add salt and pepper to taste
For the Bowl
- In a saucepan, heat the can of beans on low heat.
- In a cast iron skillet – or non-stick skillet – cook the marinated chicken until no longer pink in the middle.
- Remove the chicken and let rest on a cutting board for five minutes with aluminum foil covering it.
- In the same pan, cook the frozen peppers and onions until hot.
- Once the meat has rested, chop up into bite sized pieces.
- Turn off heat on beans and spoon into a serving bowl.
- Assemble your bowls with quinoa and the chopped chicken.
- Add on top the rest of the ingredients as you please!
Inspired and adapted from What’s Gaby Cooking